The founders of the World’s Oldest Miniature Railway were a father and son, Frank Clement Schwab, and Alexander Carlisle Schwab.
1920 - Frank Schwab begins construction of a 7¼” gauge railway in the grounds of the family home in Sheffield - the railway is born.
1922 - the first engine, an 0-4-2T, is bought from Messrs. Jupp of Sheffield.
1924 - Frank Schwab retires (early) and the family relocate to the newly built Tanner’s House, Saltwood, Kent. The railway comes too.
1926 - Alex Schwab awarded degree in mechanical engineering from Cambridge University.
1928 - locomotive rebuilt as powerful 4-4-2 “Trojan”.
1929 - “Trojan” rebuilt again.
1931 - first public open day for charity - the one engine and three carriages carried 496 passengers during 4 hours, and others were turned away!
1931 - major carriage building programme commenced to support further charity open days - these continued from then until 1987.
1938 - design commenced on the new locomotive “Maid of Kent”, with Henry Greenly.
1940 - “Maid of Kent” entered service, just as the line shut down for the war.
1942 - locomotive air raid shelter constructed.
1943 - public running recommenced.
1953 - Frank Schwab died.
1970 - Alex Schwab became ill, and operations were suspended.
1974 - “Trojan” sold, and a new electric locomotive “Earl of Berkeley” entered service.
1974 - after Christmas, the line finally reopened.
1975 - “Maid of Kent” sold - the end of the steam era.
1976 - another new electric locomotive “Great Western” entered service.
1977 - the webmaster of this website joined the staff of the railway.
1983 - the webmaster of this website became the final Traffic Manager of the railway.
1987 - Alex Schwab died, and the Saltwood Miniature Railway closed permanently (see below).
2002 - This website was launched in response to requests for information.