No 1 - (No name)
About the engine
When the first railway was built in Sheffield, the Schwabs acquired (1922) a little 0-4-2T from the Jubb engineering company to operate the line, and this engine subsequently moved with the family to Saltwood. The engine ran without name or number, but has become known as "No 1", and was well suited to the limited operation of a private family line with just one 2-seater passenger coach!
However, the line was soon to expand, with public operating days becoming the norm. A more powerful engine was required. The solution for Frank and Alex Schwab in 1928 was to scrap their locomotive, and to recycle parts from the engine in a much larger engineering project (see entry for Trojan).
Where is it now?
No 1 was scrapped in 1928, and no longer exists. Some parts of the engine probably still survive in Trojan.